Soc 151: Formal Organizations Fall 2022
In this paper, your assignment will be to apply the paradigms of organizations as rational systems, natural systems, and open systems to one of the following television shows: “The Office”
I am assuming that many of you have seen some of, if not all of, these shows, and that you can figure out ways to watch them without spending any money. If you cannot find a way to do this, or if you have a very strong reason for preferring to write about a different show, you will need to get permission from your TA to do so.
The goal of this paper to take what you have learned from this class and apply that knowledge to a realm of your life where we normally don’t think about such things. Note, that while a solid discussion of the show itself is important, it is less important than your accurate and detailed application of course material.
The Paper Components:
For each of the three ways of looking at organizations: as open systems, natural systems, and rational systems, you will do the following:
1. Define the system.
a. What does it mean to say that an organization is a rational system, or an open
system, or a natural system?
b. In this section you will need to explain the paradigm as if you were teaching it to
one of your friends who is not in this class. Explanations should…
i. …be straight forward and clearly organized
ii. …discuss at least three of the class readings and how they contribute to understanding organizations as rational systems, or open systems, or …natural systems.
iii. …include in-text citations: (Authors last name(s) and page number, including any material taken from lecture. Lecture citations should use the following format (Rotondi, DATE, LECTURE TITLE)
2. Choose scenes from these shows and explain how they exemplify the corresponding system.
a. You must choose three different scenes. They can be chosen from one show, two shows or one from each of the three shows. It is up to you.
b. Explanations should…
i. …focus solely on a scene and not a whole episode, or season, or show.
ii. …be descriptive enough for the reader to be able to understand the scene without having seen it
iii. …directly connect the events in the scene with the content from the course.
iv. …involve applying the three readings (as well as relevant concepts and theorists) to the scene.
In the end, your TA will ask themselves the following: “did the student describe the scene in a way that I understand it; and more importantly, did the student show me that they understand the different systems in a comprehensive and detailed way.”
Students will sometimes use quantity when the paper asks for quality, do not do this. For instance, do not simply list a large number of terms and names of theorists without explaining how they apply in a thoughtful way.
How you structure the paper is up to you, but I strongly suggest that you share your ideas about the paper with your TA and even ask for guidance on structure, since they will be grading it.
• The paper is worth 25% of your total course grade
• The paper will be double spaced, type-written, using 12-point Times New Roman font with 1 inch margins.
• The paper will be 7-15 pages in length.
• The paper is due at some point before 11:59pm on Sunday, November 20th.
• Paper must be submitted as a WORD (.doc) document. The submission link is in the Week 8 Module.
• Late papers will be docked 20% for each late day (every 24 hours) starting at 12:01 on November 21st.
• Plagiarism will not be tolerated. If we find that your paper is not SOLELY your own work, you will receive 0% on the paper, a fail for the class grade, and referred to the Student Judiciary Committee.
• Both in text citations and Works cited page are requires. American Sociological Association format required. Works Cited Page does not count as part of page total.
Did student use some or all of the shows required?
If not, did they obtain approval to use a different show?
Were the three scenes from these shows described with enough detail that you understood the scene without having seen it?
THE RATIONAL SYSTEM
Did the student explain the system in a clear way for a naïve reader? 12 Did the student use at least three different readings or theorists/scholars? 3 Was the use of the three readings/scholars comprehensive enough to support the explanation of the system?
Was the link between the television scene and the rational system appropriate, accurate, and with enough application of course material to make sense?
Was the link between the television scene and the natural system appropriate, accurate, and with enough application of course material to make sense?
Was the link between the television scene and the open system appropriate, accurate, and with enough application of course material to make sense?
15 15 15
Were Citations ASA formatted? 2 Was the paper easy to read and organized well? 4 Grammar issues? 2
Struggling with a similar assignment? Don’t know where to start? Don’t have time to work on this? Get a high-quality paper written for you from scratch – PLAGIARISM FREE, guaranteed to get you a good grade. To get started, please click on the Submit Your Instructions at the bottom of the page.
Soc 151: Formal Organizations Fall 2022
Need Writing Help? Our writing specialists are here 24/7, every day of the year, ready to support you! Instantly chat with an online tutor below or click here to submit your paper instructions to the writing team.
More than just an assignment.
Who is this homework service for?
* If you are having a really hard class and want to get through it, then this is for you.
* If you have a medical emergency or someone close to you has a medical emergency and you don’t think you’ll be able to turn your assignment on time, this is definitely a service you could use.
* You can use us if you are having a tough Professor who won’t give you the grades you deserve.
* If you have a tight work schedule and you are getting points deducted for not submitting assignments on time.
* English might not be your first language and you feel like you are being left behind in class because of it.
* If you have a large project coming up and don’t think you have enough time to get it done well, definitely reach out to us.
Hi there! My name is Anna.
Super stoked you are checking us out! We would like to help you with your assignment. We just need a few things from you:
* The full assignment instructions as they appear on your school account.
* If a Rubric is present, make sure to attach it.
* Any relevant weekly readings or learning resources.
* Include any special announcements or emails you might have gotten from your Professor regarding your assignment.
* Any templates or additional files required to complete the assignment.
If your assignment is somewhat complex and you need to explain it, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via live chat.
Frequently asked questions
How soon can I get my paper done?
It depends with your deadline. If you need your paper completed in 3 hours, we will deliver it in that time. All you need to do is indicate your deadline in our custom order page here. Alternatively, if you are sending us your instructions via email, please be sure to indicate your deadline.
Will it be completely original? I don't want to be caught in a case of Academic Integrity Violation.
We are as paranoid as you are. Maybe even more! And we understand that the greatest sin you can commit in your academic journey is plagiarizing your academic work. To that end, we have made sure that we check and double-check our papers using high quality plagiarism detection tools such as SafeAssign and Turnitin before submitting the paper to you.
Who is my writer? Is he/she a native English Speaker?
All our writers are native English Speakers. That is not to say that ESL writers are not good, we just prefer hiring native writers because we want the very best people working on your paper. This might mean paying a little bit more for your paper as opposed to when you pay a foreign company whose writers are non-native English Speakers.
What if I need revisions? Will your charge additional for this?
Of course not! If you do happen to require a revision on your paper, our team will handle it for you free of charge. Matter of fact, we won’t rest till you are happy with your paper. So, ask for as many revisions as you need, it’s completely FREE!
Will you give me my money back if I don't like my paper?
We have very few instances where we delivered a paper that a client didn’t fall in love with. But if it so happens that you don’t like your paper for any reason whatsoever, we’ll refund your money back no questions asked.
I have more assignments after this, can you help me with those too?
Of course! And what’s even better is that we can reserve a writer permanently to work on your entire class. This comes in handy for projects which build up on each other and where you need just one writer, one writing style.