The objective of the applied learning paper (ALP) is to take important concepts covered in the course and
apply them in practical ways to further enhance learning. It specifically will focus on what you have learned
about your interpersonal communication skills and relationship patterns and how these relate to the course
The following four issues must be addressed in your paper:
1. Describe in detail the most important interpersonal communication insight that you’ve had about
yourself during this course. This should be interpersonal in nature, or how you communicate to and with
others. Your response should include the following:
• Tell what the specific insight is
• Explain why you consider this the most important insight you’ve had recently
• Discuss how you have come to this realization (show relevance to course content: reading, in-class
exercises, role-plays, etc.)
• Explain how this interpersonal communication insight benefits or hinders you personally and
• Discuss how you intend to continue building upon your learning in this area (include a concrete,
measurable plan of action for the next three months)
2. Written dialogue of interpersonal skills
Create a brief written dialogue between yourself and another person that effectively uses the three verbal
active listening skills covered in this course: paraphrasing, empathy, and self-disclosure. The dialogue should
be written out in a way that emphasizes the proper use of each active listening skill. There needs to be at least
one clear example of each skill (properly labeled in parentheses) in the dialogue. Here’s a brief example of
how it could begin and shows the first skill:
Scene: (Provide a brief descriiption of the scene) Tom and I are co-workers having lunch at our desks.
Tom: Man, it’s been a rough day so far.
Bob: Really, what’s been tough about it?
Tom: I met with our manager early this morning for my review and he came down really hard on me for
missing the sales quota the past two months. He says if I don’t improve my numbers by the end of the quarter,
he will have to let me go. I can’t afford to be without a job. My wife was just diagnosed with cancer, I need a
new roof on my house and my dad just broke his hip.
Bob: I think you’re saying that with all these other pressures in your personal life, it’s going to be very difficult
for you to increase your work output in order to save your job and pay for these major expenses. Is that what
you mean? (Paraphrasing)
You then continue with the dialogue showing and labeling the other skills. The dialogue need not be lengthy
(about 3 pages double-spaced is usually adequate). The emphasis here is on accurately using each of the skills
as discussed in class.
Revised 8.2.21, 09/12/2022
3. Cultural biases
• Describe in detail at least one cultural bias you are aware of and who it involves
• How does this bias create difficulty or limit you in your ability to fully accept and communicate with
people in this cultural or ethnic group?
• What do you believe is the origin of this bias?
• What could you do to begin working through this bias in the near future (concrete action points)
4. Conflict management.
• Describe in detail one area where you have difficulty managing conflict with others
• Briefly explain a sample situation of how this conflict looks and your typical response
• How would you like to respond differently?
• What practical steps could you apply from the content of this course to improve your conflict